Funding for Places

Some 2-year-olds in England can get free early education and childcare.

You must be getting one of the following:

·      Income Support

·      income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)

·      income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

·      support through part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act

·      tax credits and have an annual income under £16,190 before tax

·      the guaranteed element of State Pension Credit

·      the Working Tax Credit 4-week run on (the payment you get when you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)

·      Universal Credit


If your child is eligible, you can start claiming after they turn 2. The date you can claim will depend on when their birthday is.


Child’s birthday

When you can claim

1 January to 31 March

the beginning of term on or after 1 April

1 April to 31 August

the beginning of term on or after 1 September

1 September to 31 December

the beginning of term on or after 1 January